Employer Policies for the Use of Career Services
In order to provide fair and equitable services to our students and employers, the Career Services office and its clients adhere to the following policies:
Employers must subscribe to the National Association of Colleges and Employer (NACE) Principals for Professional Conduct and to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) recruitment and employment guidelines and laws established by federal and New Mexico governments.
We reserve the right to refuse service to employers for factors such as the following:
- Providing fraudulent information and/or misrepresentation of positions or company information through dissemination of dishonest information or absence of information to the Career Services Department or to students
- Receipt from students of complaints of improper or illegal recruiting or employment practices, harassment of UNM students, alumni, or staff
- Breach of confidentiality of student information without prior written consent of the student
- Requiring, at the time of application, personal information such as bank and social security numbers or photo of the applicants
- Positions not likely of interest to college students or alumni
- Requiring students to pay personal funding to obtain the position
- Failure to adhere to Career Services’ policies and/or any violation of UNM equal opportunity regulations and rules, and local, state, or federal laws
- Failure to accurately describe the responsibilities and requirements of the employment opportunity in all publicity, including publicity for employer information sessions.
Companies or organizations that hire independent contractors or do not provide a W-2 may use the following limited services:
- Career/Job fairs as appropriate
- Scheduling a room for a presentation once a semester
- Scheduling an information table once a semester
Career Services does not provide services, rooms, scheduling, or sponsorship if:
- The employment opportunity involves on-campus solicitation of the company’s products, posting of company’s materials, or sale/distribution of products and services
- The organization is sponsoring an individual to establish his/her own business for the purpose of selling products or services, and/or recruiting other individuals to establish their own businesses
- The organization requires an initial payment or investment - with the organization itself serving as an umbrella or parent corporation. Investments of this type may include, but are not limited to: requirement to attend unpaid orientation or training sessions; direct payment of a fixed fee; payment to attend orientation or training sessions; and/or purchase or rent of a starter kit, sales kit, samples, or presentation supplies
- The organization fails, for any reason, to provide essential information concerning the nature of the position or compensation, including, but not limited to: commission only, job responsibilities, salary, applicant requirements
- The organization fails to submit payment/documentation of payment for any Career Services event or program
Third party recruiters are agencies, organizations or individuals recruiting candidates for employment opportunities other than for their own needs. Third party recruiters using UNM Career Services are expected to follow the same policies and procedures established for recruiters representing their own organization. In addition, third party recruiters are expected to adhere to several specific practices to ensure open and accurate communication with UNM students.
Career Services will provide assistance to third party agencies only when a third party recruiter meets the following conditions:
- Meets the NACE and EEO policies and laws described above
- Charges no fees to the candidate
- Reveals to Career Services the identity of the employer being represented and the nature of the relationship between the agency and the employer, and permits the career center to verify this information by contacting the named client
- Provides a position description to Career Services for valid openings.
Third party recruiters are allowed to interview on campus or participate in career fairs when the above conditions are met. Career Services may require the name of the employer being represented to be identified on all announcements.
- Career Services will provide scheduling support for recruiters via Handshake only
- Recruiters seeking to schedule on-campus interviews outside Handshake scheduling process are required to provide our office with a description of the recruiting process used to fill the schedule as well as a copy of the interview schedule prior to the interviews
- Career Services will not provide on-site support for recruiters requesting outreach venues outside of the Career Services suite
- Career Services cannot provide equipment (lap-top computer, projector, etc) for outreach events outside the Career Services suite
- Interview rooms in the Career Services suite for your on-campus visit are complimentary
Registration cancellations within 3 days of the event are subject to be evaluated by UNM Career Services Manager. You will be responsible for the full registration fee if you cancel after the event or not present without notification. Refunds for qualifying cancellations (less administrative fee) will be initiated after the fair.
Keith A. Hitz
Office of Career Services
UNM Career Services
UNM Office of Career Services
University Advisement & Enrichment Ctr, Room 220
MSC 06 3710
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Payment Information Collected
UNM Career Services only keep information for payment record. This may include, but is not limited to, a first and last name, a physical address, an email address, and a phone number. We are not keeping record of any credit card information.
Posting Jobs at UNM
- Jobs posted on the UNM Handshake system will automatically be assigned an expiration date 45 days past the posting date. Employers may select an expiration date earlier than the 45 day default. If an expiration date beyond 60 days is selected, Career Services will correct the date
- Only job postings for paid, degree-required/related positions are accepted
- Career Services will accept appropriate job announcements via electronic methods only; we are a paperless resource center
- Career Services reserves the right to delete job postings deemed unsuitable for students seeking professional, degree-related work experience and will make an effort to direct employers seeking non-professional employment candidates to other recruiting sources available at the university
- Employers who have not filled the job may repost for an additional 45 days
- Third party recruiters may provide job announcements to UNM Career Services for posting. Posting of any/all job descriptions is not to be construed as an explicit or implicit approval or recommendation of recruiters by the university.
Requests from Organization to Target Only Specified Audiences
- The Career Services office at UNM maintains and promotes a policy of nondiscrimination and non-harassment on the basis or race, religion, color, sex, age, disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, and citizenship. We provide services only for employers whose hiring practices are non-discriminatory according to federal and state laws
- Career Services will advertise opportunities that target specific populations if the organization also agrees that it will consider other students or have opportunities open to all interested students
- Career/job fairs are designed to provide a venue for sharing employment information only
- Are not intended for recruiting other businesses or for selling products and/or services
- Please see above section regarding cancellation fees
- Career fair participants who do comply with this policy may be asked to leave the event/may be denied future registration
Employers register for job fairs on Handshake with a pre-register employer account. New employers to the system have to sign up for an account. Handshake is a Career Services Management System, software by Simplicity. Registration will be reviewed by Handshake managers. Registration will be processed within 24 to 48 business hours. Employer will be provided with all the details and logistics of the event through a confirmation email.
Upon arrival, booth/table/packages will be set up and ready at the event location on the time indicated in the confirmation email. Any employers arrive at the event location without pre-registration; booth availability and participation will not be guaranteed.
Payment is required at the time of registration if paying by credit card. At the end of the registration process, an invoice will be generated; at the bottom of the invoice is the “pay by credit card” button. Click on the button to process your credit card payment. Check payment must be received no later than 30 days after the event. Any questions for payment, please contact Employer Relation at 505-277-2531.
Career Fair Registration Prices:
Career EXPO $500
Student Job and Internship Fair $200
Educator Job Fair $275
Engineering and Science $450
Business and Accounting $450
Graduate and Professional School $275
NOTES: Additional charges will apply for extra representatives, electricity, additional parking. Please contact 505-277-2531 for any questions.
PLEASE NOTE: The Graduate and Professional School Fair is not an employment fair, but is a means of distributing information about graduate schools, programs, application, and admission.
The Career Services staff will investigate complaints by users of our services about job postings, employers, or career events. If we determine that a complaint is justified, we may choose not to sponsor recruiting activities for the employer involved.